Naturally Gluten Free Mint JulepGluten Free Bartender App
In Honor of Mother's Day.... Also fun for Kentucky Derby Parties!
Ingredients:3oz GF Cognac (We've substituted Cognac for Bourbon in this drink, which is naturally gluten free... Traditionally Bourbon is used in this drink and according to FDA, is gluten free (20 ppm or less) via distillation process, however most products are not regularly tested for gluten...therefore cannot be labeled "gluten free") 1oz preferred Julep Syrup (see syrup varieties & preparations listed below) 5-6 Fresh Mint leaves Shaved Ice
Instructions:Place mint leaves and selected syrup (see below) in a chilled julep cup, and muddle. Pack cup tightly with crushed ice; add cognac and mint sprig.
Julep Syrups (via: Southern Living)
1. Mint Syrup: Boil 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1 1/2 cups water, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; add 15 fresh mint sprigs, and cool completely. Cover and chill 24 hours. Strain syrup; discard solids.
2. Grapefruit-Honey Syrup: Prepare Mint Syrup as directed, reducing sugar to 1/2 cup and stirring 3/4 cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, 1/2 cup honey, 3 (2- x 4-inch) grapefruit rind strips, and rind from 1 lime, cut into strips, into sugar mixture with mint. For julep, muddle with 1 small grapefruit rind strip.
3. Peach-Basil Syrup: Prepare Mint Syrup as directed, substituting basil for mint and stirring 2 (5.5-oz.) cans peach nectar and 1 split vanilla bean into sugar mixture with basil. For julep, muddle with 1 peach slice.
4. Blackberry Syrup: Prepare Mint Syrup as directed, adding 6 oz. fresh blackberries, halved, with mint. For julep, muddle with 2 fresh blackberries.
5. Pineapple-Lemongrass Syrup: Prepare Mint Syrup as directed, reducing granulated sugar to 1 cup, adding 1/2 cup light brown sugar to granulated sugar and water, and stirring 1 cup (Gluten Free) pineapple juice, 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, and 3 (3-inch) pieces fresh lemongrass into sugar mixture with mint after removing from heat. For julep, muddle with 1 small fresh pineapple chunk.
Cooking method:Not cooked
Special ingredients:no seeds, no beans / legumes / pulses, no dried / ground spices, no meat / poultry, no grains
Just right for...:Elegant evenings, Crowds/parties, Spring favorites, Summer favorites
Top 8 allergens?:gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, fish-free, shellfish-free, nut-free, peanut-free
Read the ingredients, call the company and check the tags!
We provide our recipes search function as a free service to the community, and while we do our best to make sure all the recipes our members submit are properly tagged with respect to the ingredients inside, it's critical that you confirm that they're safe for you! Thus, while we invite you to use our search filters as a starting point, by using this service you agree that you are responsible for determining which foods are safe for you and/or anyone for whom you prepare foods found on our site, including reading the ingredients for all products used therein, and contacting the manufacturers directly to confirm that each food has been manufactured in a way that is safe for you. We do our best, but we cannot assume responsibility for any errors of omission or comission in how our recipes are tagged or identified.
Find more recipes & know-how for the diets & health issues that matter to you!