3/4 c dairy-free, soy-free vegetable shortening
1/2 c light brown sugar, packed
1/2 c sugar
2 T coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk)
1 T vanilla extract
1 'egg' (1 T ground flax + 3 T water)
1 c millet flour
1 c sorghum flour
1/2 c tapioca flour
1/2 t xanthan gum
1 t salt
3/4 t baking soda
3/4 c (about 8) crushed candy canes, divided
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cream together the shortening and sugars in a large bowl. Add the milk, vanilla, and flax 'egg' and mix well.
3. Whisk together the flours, xanthan gum, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Add to the shortening mixture at low speed until just blended.
4. Stir 1/2 cup of crushed candy canes into the dough.
5. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately sprinkle each cookie with about 1/4 teaspoon crushed candy. Cool 2 minutes, then remove to rack to cool completely.