10 Uses for a Can of Coconut Milk
We’ve always been 100% gluten free here at the Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe
, but back in 2011 we decided to cut out dairy for a while and see what happened. We were blown away by the results – we had more energy, we got sick less often, and we even had fewer cravings! The only problem was that so many delicious foods tend to have dairy in them – pizza, cakes, cookies, pies, you name it. We had successfully learned to make all of our favorites 100% gluten free, but could we do it dairy free too? The answer was YES, with a little help from a simple ingredient for which we are very grateful: coconut milk
. It’s so versatile we often wonder why we didn’t go dairy free before! Here are our top 10 uses for a can of coconut milk, in no particular order (click the title for a link to each recipe):
- Dairy Free Soy Free Whipped Cream – this is so simple to make! And with only two ingredients, it is totally allergy friendly! It goes great with cakes & pies, and even on top of fruit. I like to put a dollop in my morning coffee. And who can blame you if this becomes the dessert on it’s own!
- Dairy Free Soy Free Ice Cream – this recipe requires a bit more technique (and tools) than the whipped cream, but it’s purpose is much the same: as a delicious accessory to any and all gluten free desserts! This one is especially great for the hot San Antonio summers.
- Coconut Milk Kefir - just because you’ve gone dairy free doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the probiotic benefits of kefir and yogurt! This simple swap makes making delicious dairy free drinks a cinch!
- Dairy Free Buttermilk – which just so happens to be perfect for making gluten free, dairy free buttermilk biscuits.
- Dairy Free Curry - Coconut milk was the original base for curry. Sadly, somewhere along the line traditions changed and people started using cow dairy. It’s so much more delicious with coconut milk!
- Dairy Free Rice Pudding – Another traditional dessert that is usually made with dairy but it honestly so much tastier with coconut milk.
- Dairy Free Tres Leches Cake – A “3-milk” cake without any milk AT ALL?! Yes, it’s true – thanks to the miracle of coconut milk!
- Allergen Free Pumpkin Pie – In the land of pumpkin spice, dairy is king. But a can of coconut milk and a couple other easy substitutions means you can enjoy this fall favorite once again!
- Coconut Snowballs – Winter is on it’s way after all. Welcome it with these delicious treats from our friends at thekitchn.com
- Dairy Free Lamingtons – we just had to include our favorite Australian dessert! Ours is of course free of gluten and dairy!
So there you have it – the top 10 reasons we LOVE coconut milk. What about you – what do you use coconut milk for?