I don't hate peanuts. I just like kids. A lot.
Last month, our community came together to raise awareness for custom eater kids at school; today, we come together to mourn the loss of 16 year old Simon Katz, a charismatic young teen with a peanut allergy who died from anaphylaxis after unknowningly injesting just one bite of a s'more made with peanut butter, at his school's homecoming party. His mother had fought since he was in pre-school to get the district to go peanut-free.
Now some will read this and ask why he ate a food without reading a label, and some will ask why he had to go home to get epinephrine - but with a health crisis that in so many doesn't wait for a diagnosis before it strikes an anaphylactic blow, we steadfastly believe that the more relevant question is why his district failed to take such a basic safety precaution as to screen the foods being offered at a community-wide event to ensure that at a minimum, such a common allergen was disclosed.
Don't get me wrong: I don't hate peanuts. I just like kids. A lot.
You can read the heart-breaking coverage here.