Survive Vacation with my Food Allergy Travel Tips
(Check out my food allergies page on the blog for more tips to come: fitandfabveganlife.com)
Traveling with food allergies can be quite daunting, and can take a lot of food prep work and planning. I have put together a list of some simple ways to prepare for traveling with a food allergy. Taking a trip/vacation should be enjoyable, and focusing on what you can’t and can eat can get in the way of your time away. Follow these tips, and relax because traveling with food allergies doesn’t have to be so stressful.1. Pack travel friendly grab & go snacks so you always have a safe option:
2. Plan to bring your own breakfast with you:Many hotel breakfast buffets do not have options for vegan, gluten free eaters. Pack a travel friendly on the go breakfast to play it safe.
- Fit & Fab granola bites: Make these before your trip and pack for a healthy snack to eat on the trip.
- Health Warrior Chia bars: These granola bars are GF, and Vegan and only about 100 calories each!
- Apples: Apples will travel well if packed properly, can be served with peanut butter.
- Nuts & Seeds: Pack yourself a homemade trail mix pack that will keep you full.
- Mary’s Gone gluten free crackers
- Air popped pop corn: Just make sure it is GF and Vegan.
- Sunwarior plant based protein powder: This is a quick filling snack, can easily be mixed with water.
3. Look up restaurants in your travel area, and study the menu. Plan what you will order ahead of time to lessen the stress of not knowing if they have options for you.
- Make a oatmeal on the go bag, with spices and raisins: You can make your oatmeal by using a coffee maker in the hotel for boiling water.
- Gluten free, Vegan bread & peanut butter: Pack some GF, V bread and peanut butter for a quick morning breakfast.
4. Pack travel friendly natural tummy remedies:
- You can also call ahead and ask if they have food allergy accommodations.
- Many resorts will take food restriction request prior to your arrival if you call a few weeks in advance.
5. Play it safe with salad dressing: Bring your own, or go for olive oil :
- Traveling can put a stress on our immune systems, and especially those of us with food allergies and sensitivities. To be safe pack some travel friendly probiotics with you to keep your gut bacteria happy, in case of potential cross contamination.
- Papaya Enzymes: Excellent all natural digestive aid, helps calm indigestion.
6. Check out sites that offer listings on restaurants that offer GF and Vegan options:
- If having a meal out, a simple spring mix salad is a great options for those of us with food allergies however the dressings can be questionable. Pack your own go to dressing or opt for olive oil.